As much as we wish it were possible, most people are not born with perfectly straight teeth. As a result, this can dampen your self-confidence and cause you to smile less.
You deserve to feel comfortable with your smile each time you go outside, and fortunately, there are several orthodontic methods that you can explore in order to achieve this. Invisalign is a particularly promising solution that offers lasting results and comes with minimal risks
Contact your dentist today to learn more about this service. They’ll be happy to address your questions and refer you to a specialist who can help you get started with the treatment.
What is Invisalign?
Using removable plastic aligners, Invisalign is a long-term process that straightens patients’ teeth and, in turn, adjusts their bite pattern. No wire or brackets are utilized, just comfortable trays that are customized to fit perfectly over your top and bottom row of teeth. The trays themselves are designed from medical-grade plastic that’s been approved by Health Canada, and it does not contain harmful substances like latex.
To create your aligners, impressions are taken, whether physical or digital, and then sent to the lab after your appointment. Your dentist will make any necessary adjustments regarding their fit and tightness before you leave.
How Does It Work?
Just like traditional metal braces, Invisalign straightens your teeth without anyone noticing. The plastic strips impart a slight push to the teeth in the locations where they are misaligned at precisely the proper times.
To maintain the appropriate force on your teeth, you must replace your aligners once every two weeks. During your scheduled dental checkups, your dentist in Ottewell will evaluate your progress and adjust your aligners to achieve the desired outcome.
How Long Does the Treatment Take?
Mostly, the alignment issue has the biggest impact on the time of treatment. Invisalign treatment typically takes twelve to eighteen months for adults. As with conventional braces, it takes most teenagers between two and three years to complete.
To find out how long your treatment will take, talk to a qualified dentist near you. Straightening teeth with clear aligners can be done quicker compared to using traditional braces, but everyone’s case is different.
What Alignment Issues Can Invisalign Fix?
Most cases of misalignment can be corrected with Invisalign in Holyrood, like:
- Compared to the lower teeth, the upper teeth stick out noticeably further.
- The bottom set of teeth sticks out further than the top set.
- When the mouth is closed, the teeth do not line up correctly.
- There’s a chasm between my two front teeth where there is pressure on the teeth but no alignment.
How Frequently Should You Wear Aligners?
For best results, aligners should be worn daily for 20–22 hours. It is a crucial factor in the treatment’s success. It would be best to always replace your aligners when you take them out to eat, drink, or clean them. If you go without them for long periods of time, your treatment will fail.
Foods to Avoid
The beautiful thing about having Invisalign near you is that you don’t have to change your diet or eliminate any foods. Since your trays are meant to be removed before eating, you won’t have to worry about eating hard or sticky foods and damaging your teeth.
A new set of aligners may cause discomfort in your teeth during the adjustment period, so you may need to be careful with what you eat for a while. After eating, remove the aligners and clean your teeth well before replacing them.
Ways to Maintain Your Aligners
To prevent Invisalign tray discoloration, smell, and bacteria, follow these steps:
- Clean your teeth and aligners every morning. Your aligners may have grown bacteria while you slept. That is why you must brush your teeth and aligners in the morning.
- Do the same before bed. Wash your Invisalign trays after each use to prevent tartar and dry saliva in your teeth.
- The most crucial step is cleaning aligners after each use to prevent bacterial growth. If you want to simplify and eliminate germs, use antibacterial soap.
- Brush your aligners while traveling with a soft toothbrush to clear plaque stacks.
- Invisalign aligners can be soaked daily with crystals or denture cleaner.
- After washing, brush off any food or plaque with a clean toothbrush. Aligners should be cleaned before reuse. Remove aligners to floss and clean.
- Reinstalling them after eating can trap food between the teeth. It may cause tooth decay and other dental complications.
Come into Holyrood Dental
Are you ready to start your orthodontic journey? Wonderful! Come in and consult one of our dentists today to take the first step. They’ll walk you through the process so you feel comfortable and prepared, and get going on making your unique aligners. They can also answer any questions you have about check-in appointments and finances.
For convenient, affordable, and effective care, please visit us or contact us today.